September 8, 2017
A product can only be as great as its packaging design. At least, that’s what the consumer subconsciously believes. Did you know that the average shopper makes 85 percent of their purchase decisions in-store? And that they do so within 8 seconds once a particular packaging design has caught their eye? That said, consumers are not the only audience product packaging designers set out to seduce. There’s also the needs and demands of brand owners to cater to. Does your product packaging design tick all the boxes for all the people it needs to please?
Questions, questions, questionsIt pays for product packaging designers to have a thorough understanding of their client’s customer base. Additionally, what the target audience exactly wants in the product greatly affects what they look for in the product’s packaging. Before you start designing, ask yourself the following questions:
- Which product features does the target audience value the most?
- How can I work color psychology into the mix?
- Does the packaging have to be child-proof?
- Will this packaging design cause wrap rage?
- Will this packaging be easy and sturdy enough to transport?
- Does the target audience attach importance to sustainable materials?